VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    824 Times in 291 Posts

Default Fontina, Mushroom and Pancetta Lasagna

Order nail wraps from a Jamberry Independent Consultant
    Serving Size: 8 servings

Time: 2 hours including making sauce

Preparation: FOR FILLING: combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs and mix well. (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill)
    FOR MUSHROOMS: Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add pancetta and rosemary and cook 3 minutes to render fat. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until juices evaporate, stirring
    frequently, about 12 minutes.
    ASSEMBLY: Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, rinse under cold water to cool; drain.
    Oil 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Spread 1 cup sauce over bottom of dish. Arrange 3 to 4 noodles over, trimming to fit if necessary. Spread half of ricotta filling over. Spoon I cup sauce over. Sprinkle with 1 cup fontina
    and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Top with 3 to 4 noodles, trimming to fit. Spread remaining ricotta over noodles. Spoon I cup sauce over. Sprinkle with 1 cup fontina and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Reserve 1/2 cup sauteed
    mushrooms for garnish. Spread remaining mushrooms over cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle remaining fontina and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. (Can be prepared 1 day
    ahead. Refrigerate lasagne and reserved 1/2 cup mushrooms seperately. Let lasagne stand 2 hours at room temperature before continuing)
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake covered lasagne 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until bubbling and cheese melts, about 20 minutes. Arrange reserved 1/2 cup mushrooms, tomato and tsp rosemary over. Let stand 10
    minutes. Cut into squares.

Difficulty: Medium

Ingredients:
    • Filling
    • 2 15 ounce containers of ricotta cheese
    • 1 10 ounce pkg frozen chopped spinach, cooked according to pkg directions
    • and drained
    • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 1 1/2 ounces)
    • 2 eggs
    • Mushrooms
    • 1 tbls olive oil
    • 2 ounces pancetta, chopped
    • 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried, crumbled
    • 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
    • Assembly
    • 12 (about) lasagna noodles
    • Tomato, porcini and pancetta sauce (see recipe)
    • 1 pound fontina cheese, grated
    • 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
    Steps:
    • Tomato, porcini and pancetta sauce
    • 1 7/8 to 1 ounce pkg dried porcini mushrooms
    • 1 cup hot water
    • 2 oz chopped pancetta
    • 1 medium chopped onion
    • 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 1 tsp dried, crumbled
    • 1/8 tsp dried crushed red pepper
    • 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
    • Rinse mushrooms briefly under cold water. Place in a small bowl. Pour 1 cup hot water over and let soak 30 minutes to soften. Remove mushrooms from water. Reserve soaking water. Cut hard stems from mushrooms.
    • Heat oil in heavy medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and sautee 2 minutes. Add onion and rosemary and cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add dried red pepper and sautee 20 seconds. Add tomatoes and mushrooms. Carefully pour in reserved mushroom soaking liquid, leaving sediment in bowl. Simmer until sauce is thick, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill).
    Last edited by macksmom; 2 Nov 2007 at 04:54 PM.

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    824 Times in 291 Posts

Default Re: Fontina, Mushroom and Pancetta Lasagna

This is a fairly complicated recipe but it is absolutely delicious and can be prepared in advance for entertaining. I'm not a mushroom person and I still thought it was fabulous.

I opted to put the sauce recipe in the instructions section. Please note that the ingredients for the sauce are not listed above in the ingredient section.

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    218 Times in 93 Posts

Just the title makes me drool!!!! Sounds perfect for a heart-of-winter, just-skiied-my-butt-off dinner.

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    824 Times in 291 Posts

Heather just caught an oops in my word document...no quantity for the pancetta! I would guess 1/8 - 1/4 pound (2-4 ounces) or so as a bit goes a long way on flavor. Of course, you can add more for more flavor

ETA: I modified the recipe to list 2 oz.
    Last edited by macksmom; 2 Nov 2007 at 04:55 PM.