Thread: Limoncello

...formerly known as Gwen
    Total Likes
    Liked
    2,049 Times in 832 Posts

Default Limoncello

Order nail wraps from a Jamberry Independent Consultant
    Description: Homemade Limoncello - the traditional Italian lemon-flavored liqueur made using lemons and vodka

Serving Size: 2 750mL bottles

Time: 4 - 8 weeks

Preparation: When picking the lemons, choose only the ones that give off that mouth-watering lemon scent. If it doesn't give off that smell, I won't use it.
    Pick the ones with the bright, deep yellow skin. Choose lemons with thick skins, as they will peel the easiest and contain the most oils.
    You'll need a large gallon container for the prep like a sun tea jar or large mason jar. You'll need a few glass bottles with tight seals for the finished product.

Difficulty: Easy - requires patience

Ingredients:
    • 2 bottles (750 mL) 80 to 100 proof vodka - cheap works just fine (yields 50 -60 proof) Stoli, Absolute or Everclear recommended (less flavor)
    • 15 or so fresh plump ORGANIC lemons
    • 3-4 cups DISTILLED water (more or less depending on how thick you like your limoncello - for more authentic taste, try 3 cups water to 2 cups sugar)
    • 4 cups sugar (more or less depending on how thick you like your limoncello)
    Steps:
    • Wash and dry your lemons.
    • Peel lemons with a vegetable peeler or small paring knife. Avoid getting any of the white pith - it will turn your mixture bitter. If you get the pith, scrape it off with a spoon or knife.
    • Put only the peels into a glass bottle or jar. Like a sun tea jar or large mason jar.
    • Add one bottle of vodka.
    • Seal, and store in a cool, dry, dark place for at least two weeks. I leave mine for approx. 40 days.
    • Swirl or stir occasionally. It's ready when the peels have lost their color and flexibility. The liqueur should be a bright yellow color.
    • After 2-6 weeks: Make a syrup from the water and sugar - boil in a saucepan till clear approx 5 minutes.
    • Cool COMPLETELY (this is very important for clear results).
    • Add syrup to the lemon/vodka mixture.
    • Add 2nd bottle of vodka to the mixture.
    • Stir well.
    • Store mixture in a cool, dry, dark place for 10-40 days.
    • Let it rest completely - no swirling, stirring, PEEKING!
    • Strain the peels from the vodka (I use a cheese cloth).
    • Put the liqueur in bottles, seal tightly and store in the freezer. If you've used more water, it may partially freeze.
    • You can rush the process, but the best limoncello comes from patience. The longer it sits, the smoother it becomes. Best 1 year later.
    • Serve over fruit, pound cake, ice cream. Serve in chilled shot glasses for an after dinner drink. Add to lemonade, ice tea or soda. Add to cheap red wine for sangria.
    • Remember to juice your lemons - don't waste them! Freeze in ice cube tray and transfer to a ziplock bag - perfect portions for flavoring water, using in recipes, etc!

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    747 Times in 324 Posts

Default Re: Limoncello

That sounds really good Gwen! I'll have to try that soon.

VIP Member
    Total Likes
    Liked
    3,077 Times in 1,013 Posts

That's awsome! I can't wait to try it!

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    498 Times in 138 Posts

That will be a perfect gift for DP. Thanks for finding the recipe!!!!!

VIP Eligible
    Total Likes
    Liked
    172 Times in 58 Posts

making it for my dad for christmas! thanks!