Hearty Salisbury Steak
- Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
- Yield: 5 Servings
- 1/4 cupegg substitute
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cupcrushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1/2 teaspoonpepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 tablespooncanola oil
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoonsall-purpose flour
- 2 cupswater
- In a large bowl, combine the egg substitute, onion, saltines and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into five patties.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in oil over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove patties and keep warm; drain drippings.
- In a small bowl combine the soup mix, flour and water; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil. Return patties to skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 5 servings.
1 patty with 1/4 cup gravy equals 233 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Hearty Salisbury Steaks in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p65